Monday, December 6, 2010

Gift-Getting/Giving Occasions

I create lists for my family of gift ideas for gift-giving occasions. And while I like the surprise of receiving something I didn’t even know I wanted or needed until the moment of the reveal (as they say on home decorating TV shows), DH likes a list. He doesn’t like to leave it to chance. So I oblige. And the earrings are always different, never seen before, and even wearable, some more than others.


Books are a big deal in our family. One year when our youngest son was still a little guy, he posted his Christmas list on the refrigerator. I looked it over and said, “What? No books?”


He replied, “Duh, Mama. I always get books. I don’t have to write that I want them.” That was meant to be a compliment, btw, not a snarky comment.


So, what writing-related gifts would I like this year (since I already got my MacBook Pro, and I don’t think the new desk will fit under the tree)?


Here is some of what’s on my list (with prices from Amazon). Can you tell where my interests lie in the immediate future?


Playwrighting:

Scriptwriting software like Final Draft Version 8 ($170.99) or

Movie Magic Screenwriter Version 6 ($125.99)

Art and Craft of Playwriting, Jeffrey Hatcher, $10.19

How to Read a Play, Ronald Hayman, $11.05

The Art of the Playwright, William Packard, $13.95

The Playwright’s Workbook, Jean-Claude Van Italie. $12.89


Mystery Writing:

The Weekend Novelist Writes a Mystery. Robert J. Ray

and Jack Remick, $10.55

The Elements of Mystery Fiction: Writing the Modern Whodunit,

William Tapply, $11.53

The Crime Writer’s Reference Guide: 1001 Tips for Writing the

Perfect Murder, $14.25

Police Procedure and Investigation: A Guide for Writers, Lee

Lofland, $13.59

Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction, Patricia Highsmith, $10.19


Marketing and Social Networking:

Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to

Grow an Author Platform, Christina Katz, $11.55

Off the Wall Marketing Ideas: Jumpstart Your Sales without

Busting Your Budget, Nancy Michaels and Debbi J.

Karpowicz, $8.76

Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Steve Weber,

$18.95



Leave a comment today for others to see what you’re requesting from Santa to support your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment