Tuesday, January 30, 2018

10 Tips to Build Your E-Mail List


BookBaby says your number one marketing goal is to build your email list.

If you’re an author, and not just an indie one, you know the mantra about the need to have a mail list. This is a tidy way to contact your followers, and most of us don’t spam readers with multiple e-mails in a month. And we NEVER sell or share our lists. Readers have an expectation of our professionalism when handling private information and taking their valuable time. We honor that.

In fact, quite the opposite of too many emails, lots of authors start a monthly newsletter and after a while it ends up being “periodic”. There’s just so darn much to do as an author and we have the same 24 hours the rest of the world has. But somehow it seems we’re supposed to fill all 26 of them.

Being able to get in touch quickly and easily with a large number of people is important to authors. So, I buy books on social media presence and attend workshop sessions in an effort to learn how to build a list organically. I might be able to buy email addresses, but really??? I want fans and followers, not bots.

So, one very important tip I’ve picked up is to have sign-up buttons everywhere. Now, have I done that, yet? Umm. No. But I’m working on it. Give me a break. I’m still figuring out MailChimp!

So on MailChimp, I can get a url that I can attach to social media sites I have (website, Facebook, Twitter, et al.) so that folks just click and they are added to my email subscribers list. So, I’ll figure that out and do it.

The other important piece, however, and this is the hard part, is how do folks know you exist with this amazing content?

One of the most interesting ways I’ve found is from Jeff Goins (whom I subscribe to for marketing tips. Contact him at jeffATjeffgoinswriterDOTcom) and an interview with a guy who went from 0 subscribers to tens of thousands. In a short time. With almost no effort.

Did that get my attention? Oh, yeah!

His guest interviewee, Benjamin Hardy took blog posts that had lots of hits and posted them on medium.com. He was discovered there. And with the url button available he got thousands and thousands and thousands of people following him on his website and blog.

Let me repeat. He took content he already produced and re-posted it. And sometimes, he tweaked it a bit and re-posted it again. He has a huge following on medium.com now.

Of course, I did it, too. I have not been discovered. Yet. By the same token, Ben said he wasn’t discovered immediately. He kept posting. Once one post hit big, he grew incrementally. And, I have only put up a few posts. My new marketing plan includes posting once a week at medium.com. Easy peasy since the posts are done. A past post that has 500 to 1000 page views should attract attention on medium.com, too.

What are some other tips on building an e-mail list that I’ve garnered?

1)   Put a link at the back of your book for readers to follow and click to be subscribed.
2)   Good content in a newsletter gets shared and your name gets out.
Keep your content relevant, not overselling your books, and keep it interesting. Word will spread. In fact, ask people to share your newsletter with others.
3)   Offer something of value when someone subscribes and require e-mail to get it.
(I am creating a PDF of recipes for one mail list. Another blog post is coming on this one.)
4)   An informative blog is the most common way to grow an e-mail list since people liking your content will often subscribe and tell others about you.
5)   Put an e-mail opt-in form on your website.
6)   Seek guest blogging opportunities and let people know they can be on your list.
7)   Encourage people to forward your newsletter so others will read it and subscribe.
8)   Vlog and give your address for e-mail opt-in to get more content.
9)   Create a closed section on your site that can only be accessed by members who gave an e-mail address.
10)  Collect e-mail addresses at events like book signings.


Facebook: Need tips on building your e-mail list? Here are ten ideas Sharon Arthur Moore culled to share. http://bit.ly/2BCJrkz

Twitter: 10 tips for #writers for building an e-mail list from @Good2Tweat http://bit.ly/2BCJrkz

No comments:

Post a Comment