Tuesday, March 31, 2015

What is the April A-Z Blog Challenge?


This is my third year of participating in the annual AprilA-Z Blog Challenge. I love this challenge for several reasons: I grow as a writer, I meet new people who find my blog, I discover new blogs to follow, and it’s just so much dang fun to plan and execute! You can still sign up, but you'd better hurry!

I always have several ideas for an A-Z blog focus for April, so I pick the one that fits best the blog I am writing for. Because I have three blogs, with very different foci, I have options for the April challenge. "Write Away" wins this year.

Every day (except Sundays) bloggers post something that begins with an alphabet letter, in alpha order. Four Sundays subtracted from thirty days gives 26 posts to write. This year, Wednesday April 1 is A, April 2 is B, and so on. 26 days for the 26 letters. But in 2017, there are five Sundays, so I am curious what we’ll be told to do that year.

I discovered most bloggers use a theme which makes writing posts easier and the whole body of posts is more cohesive. But I didn’t know that when I started in April, 2013. I didn’t have a clue what I was doing so it was a hodge-podgey kind of month, but centered around relationships with some days better than others. You can check the archived posts for April, 2013 at“Romance Righter”

In 2014 I got more focused and did cooking terms and equipment at “Parsley, Sage and Rosemary Time”. My posts caught the eye of the A-Z Challenge organizers, and I was featured in an interview you can read here.        Check out my archived posts for April 2014 

So what’s up for 2015?

This year, I am writing about terms mystery/crime writers know and use, so this is sort of Mystery Writing 101, but with some new information or insights, I hope, for even experienced writers.

In addition to “the term of the day”, I am writing a short story for you (sorry, not a mystery but it does have a twist--hmm! Could that be the "T" word?). The opening paragraph begins with the letter of the day. (Stay tuned for “X”, right?)

So, come back tomorrow and every day in April except for Sundays. I get Sundays off for bad behavior. I think that’s what the organizers said. 

4 comments:

  1. This will be interesting… I'm looking forward to "the term of the day".

    Cheers, Jenny
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    @PearsonReport

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming by, Jenny! I am eager to get this rolling! The support you all provide is terrific. Thanks for making this easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome :-)
    I'm not a mystery writer, but I am a mystery reader, so I can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Sarah! Welcome. I love to read mysteries, too. As to the challenge, every April a bunch of bloggers agree to post for 26 days a different letter of the alphabet (often thematically). Over 1700 bloggers are participating this year.If you go to the site, you can find a list of who signed up and find some new bloggers to follow. Thanks for coming by. I look forward to "seeing" you here again! April A-Z Blog Challenge: http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

    ReplyDelete