Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Newsletter: Black, White, and Blue All Over


An apology. I have been remiss in posting here. My daily Month-of-Recipes on another blog interfered with keeping up with the other three blogs. But, I’m back and will post weekly again.

I’ve been working on the development of a monthly newsletter, Murders with Taste. The newsletter will include information about my books, upcoming events, the occasional book review, and a recipe or kitchen hack, among other things. Isn't the graphic for the newsletter too, cute? I think it signals "cozy mystery" very well.

So what’s the problem? Why am I blue? Well. Here goes. My confession.

I’ve never had a natural affinity for spread sheets or desk top publishing programs. I’m pretty good with Word, and that’s about all I can claim.

When my new publisher suggested her authors should all consider doing a periodic newsletter, I perked up. I love new projects. I love the challenge of identifying interesting content. I can work to deadlines (I write two monthly food columns). And I love new projects. Did I already say that?

How hard could it be, I told myself. Writing content is pretty easy for me. After all I keep up with four blogs weekly, what’s the big deal about a short monthly newsletter?

Uh, a lot, as it turns out.

I didn’t even know the questions I needed to ask until I hit the hurdles, road blocks, and detour signs. I thought I had done my due diligence. I had read newsletters. I read about how to produce newsletters, but there were a few gaps between reading about and doing that had escaped me.

The articles I read about producing newsletters were about creating fresh content and keeping the newsletter a balance of news and promotion and using appealing graphics.

But, um, how do you get readers? How do you let people know you exist? How do people have 10K subscribers?

So I read a few more articles about how to attract followers to your blog/website/Facebook page, et al. I attended a couple of workshops on social media and how to build a following.

Here’s a news flash: This.Does.Not.Happen.Overnight.

Yeah, naïve of me, eh?

So I put out a call to get people on my mailing list and I finally (after viewing a tutorial) learned how to add names in MailChimp. I do not know a whole bunch of other stuff, however. For example, can I just send the newsletter to new subscribers after the initial mail out or do they have to wait until the next month. And there’s more, but I won’t bore you with what I’m still trying to figure out.

I also learned, to my dismay, that I must use the publishing program in MailChimp. I can’t create it in Word and import it. See above for me and desk top publishing issues.

I also would like to use MailChimp for mailing to subscribers content that isn’t created in the Mail Chimp program. But at this point, I can’t see a way to do it.

So the newsletter is done—content-wise. I can’t get the formatting right. I can’t get the pictures/graphics right. And I am very frustrated.

I learn best by doing with someone who know what to do. I read well, but there’s a big step (for me) from reading how to do and learning how to do.

I’m a pretty visual person. So show me. Don’t tell me. Don’t give me only written instructions. Written instructions work best (for me) as a back-up, a reminder of what I was shown to do.

Oh, and so much more is tripping me up. Can you tell I’m frustrated?

So, if you’re one of those already subscribed to Murders with Taste, I apologize that a newsletter I wanted to publish in mid-January still isn’t available. I am working on it, but it’s like working in the dark.

Hey, are you interested in subscribing to my short monthly newsletter? If so, give me your e-mail address, and I’ll pop you into MailChimp. This will happen. I promise!

Facebook: Have you struggled with creating, publishing, and distributing a newsletter? Have you had any of these struggles or are yours different? Sharon Arthur Moore bares her pages for you. http://bit.ly/2FdnpuJ

Twitter: #Authors, have you created a newsletter? Did you struggle with these issues as @Good2Tweat describes? http://bit.ly/2FdnpuJ

No comments:

Post a Comment